Friday 24 January 2014

Submitted

I have officially finished my newest piece and submitted it. There is an extra sense of accomplishment to finishing a piece for a submission and display. I suppose in some ways a piece is never really completed until it has been seen by an audience.
"Sacred Work"
20" x 36"
Oil on reclaimed panel with found glass fragments
 
This piece “Sacred Work” came about in response to the challenge issued to "visualize women's experience of prayer, their work of prayer, their prayers", issued by the Episcopal Church and Visual Arts group. As I was contemplating how to visualize a woman at prayer, I decided that my mother would be my inspiration and model for this piece. I chose to portray her busy sewing as she has taken the ordinary, mundane task of production sewing as an opportunity to create a regular, distinct, extended prayer time in her life. Now, each day as she sits down at her sewing machine to begin working, her task is transformed into sacred work as she begins to pray. Many people and many situations get covered in prayer regularly during this time.

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome Sarah! And so true of your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing and wonderful work - I can SEE and HEAR your moms' prayers going up - especially in the few months before your wedding - but always! :) Love it! :) Heather W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes.:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my........

    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete